Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Truffle Shuffle Your Way to the Drive-In

I can list a bunch of reasons why someone shouldn't immediately default to The Goonies when he/she thinks of Richard Donner, Sean Astin, or Jonathan Ke Quan. Richard Donner directed Superman: The Movie and (depending on who you ask) Superman II. Sean Astin played the perfect Samwise Gamgee in some trilogy about a ring and talking eyeball. Jonathan Ke Quan...come on...Short Round. Temple of Doom is far from the best Indiana Jones movie, but Ke Quan delivers some of the most memorable lines of the entire series in Raiders prequel. Considering all this, considering Superman and Rings and Indy, I default to The Goonies when I think of these guys.

I didn't see The Goonies when it was released. I was born in '87 and very quickly was swept up in the Batmania that spiraled out of Tim Burton's 1989 masterpiece (take that Christopher Nolan!) That lead to a natural interest in Superman. So, I was very familiar with who Richard Donner was and his style by the time I was five. My uncle was and is a huge science fiction fan. And in spending time with him, Star Wars became my next big obsession. Of course, my father being a fan of more grounded movies quickly suggested, "You know, if you like that Han Solo, the same actor is in another movie written by the same guy who wrote Star Wars." So...Raiders. I was immediately hooked. I was watching the whole trilogy (I've heard whispers of a fourth installment but I don't believe it.) on a weekly basis. Obviously, I, like every other boy who ever watched Temple of Doom, associated with Short Round. He got to search for fortune and glory with the guy who I wanted to be!

When I was in middle school was when I finally let my inner nerd out. My inner nerd wasn't hiding behind accepted forms of nerdom like Batman and Indiana Jones. No, I had discovered Lord of the Rings. And when Christmas of freshman year came around and these books that I had become obsessed with for the past few years were finally put on screen in the way the deserved to be, I lost it. I don't know what "it" is, but I lost it.

Now, why would I go on and on about all these movies and actors and directors and not dive right into The Goonies? Because there is an integral element in each of these movies which comes together in an almost magical way in The Goonies to essentially capture lightning in a bottle. The Goonies embodies a larger than life story about a group of kids who do not belong, not unlike Superman, a trek to a mysterious place against impossible odds, not unlike Rings, and a series of traps and pitfalls that would require expert cunning and guile to overcome, not unlike Indy. Add a little bit of romance and family drama and you've got a timeless movie that is enjoyable by everyone. That simple fact makes The Goonies one of the most unique movies in cinema history. It is a perfect movie. You can lump True Lies and Princess Bride in there. Take away or add any one element to The Goonies and you've got a lesser film.

There is at least one character for which to identify with. I don't care how weird or ostracized you are by society, there is a character that speaks to you. This movie was made for the losers. This movie was made for those kids who had never experienced a real win. This movie was made for me. Now, I've grown up and this loser has a hot wife a handsome little boy and I don't feel like a loser anymore. But the process of "not feeling like a loser" started when I first saw The Goonies. This movie helped me get through some really rough times. But it isn't just about nostalgia. The Goonies is as relevant today as it was in '85 and not just to me personally.

I teach middle school English. Nearly everyone I have ever spoken to about my job always says the same thing. "Oh! I remember junior high...it sucked." Well, it does suck. You look and feel awkward, no one likes you because you do and say awkward things, and that makes you feel and look even more awkward. Because of this, I have worked The Goonies into my lesson plans for each grade. I show it every year. There is a connection to the lesson I was teaching but it is really more so that Donner and company can help my students in the same way they helped me all those years ago. And you know what? They all love it. Some cry, some feel vindicated, and still others feel like they've just seen the hottest new blockbuster.

The Goonies has that ability to unite a motley crew into one single truffle shufflin' family. I've watched the movie with my father, my grandfather, my nine year old brother, and my best friend. and it always has the same effect: bringing people closer. I wonder what would have happened had Reagan sat in a theater with Gorbachev and watched The Goonies together. Who knows? Maybe the Cold War could have ended six years earlier. So, why pop the DVD in, or set your DVR to record, or drive out to the Drive-In to watch a 29 year old movie? Well, to bring your family together and remind yourself that sometimes, just sometimes, its ok for the losers to win.


Dave Starkiller

P.S. I managed to make it an entire blog post about The Goonies without working "Never Say Die" into it! Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome article! Love how you tied those three great movie franchises together in the Goonies. Sweet read.

    ReplyDelete